305 W. Northtown Rd, Suite C
Normal, IL 61761


Truck Insurance

Bobtail & Non Trucking Liability

Non-Trucking Liability (otherwise known as "Bobtail") is Commercial Auto Liability coverage that covers a specified unit while it is not under dispatch or operating in the business of "trucking". This could be when you are taking the unit to the shop for repairs or transporting the unit from one motor carrier's facility to another. Most motor carriers will require an owner operator to have this type of coverage while under lease. This coverage will cover the unit whether "bobtailing" or pulling an empty trailer.

Unladen Liability is Commercial Auto Liability that covers a specified unit any time that unit is unladen, or not loaded, regardless of whether under dispatch or operating as a trucker. Many motor carriers are now requiring this coverage from their permanently leased owner operators.

Commercial Auto Liability

This is the coverage that protects an insured from damages that may be incurred in a crash involving a covered unit. This coverage will pay for damages to physical property or for bodily injury to the extent that the insured is found negligent. The coverage can be written on a specified unit basis or can be blanketed for larger fleets. All motor carriers are required by FMCSA regulations to carry this coverage to protect the public from any damages caused by an insured unit. 49 CFR part 387.303 clearly spells out the limits of coverage that are required under different circumstances for those trucking companies operating as interstate carriers.

At Truck Insurance Specialists we will work together with you to determine what your exposures are and what type of Commercial Auto Liability is right for your operation, and we can explore options such as deductibles and self insured retentions to reduce up front premium costs.

Physical Damage

Physical Damage Insurance is a general term for a group of insurance coverages that protect your vehicle. It includes Collision, Comprehensive or the more limited Fire and Theft with Combined Additional Coverage (CAC) insurance.

If you have a loan on your truck or want to fully protect your investment, you should choose Physical Damage Coverage.

Collision Insurance provides protection for your truck if it is damaged in an accident. It pays to repair or replace the truck if it collides with another object, overturns, or rolls over.

Comprehensive Insurance provides protection against almost everything but a collision with another vehicle. It insures you for theft and vandalism.

Fire and Theft CAC is similar to Comprehensive Insurance, except its coverage is limited to certain specific non-collision incidents. It is designed for specific heavy truck types and does not cover windshield damage.

In Physical Damage Insurance you have a deductible. A good way to lower the cost of your premium is to choose a higher deductible. But, you should always feel comfortable paying that out-of-pocket expense should you suffer a loss.

Some optional coverages that you should look for in your physical damage policy are; lease gap coverage, personal effects coverage, electronic equipment coverage, tarps, chains, and binder coverage, combined deductibles, additional travel expense coverage, mechanical breakdown towing coverage, loss of use coverage, and pet coverage.

At Truck Insurance Specialists we will work with you to make sure you have the proper type of physical damage on your equipment, after all it is the largest investment you make into your business.

Motor Truck Cargo

Motor Truck Cargo insurance provides legal liability coverage for truckers, whether common or contract, while they are transporting property of others. The policy protects the insured (trucker) and the covered property (cargo). This insurance is protection as required under the Motor Carrier Act of 1935.

Many cargo forms have sub-limits, co-insurance requirements, or deductibles that an insured may not be aware of when choosing a policy, or policies may be written on a broad form basis versus a specified peril type policy. It can be difficult for an insured to completely understand the differences between one form and another if the agent does not review this type of form or coverage on a regular basis with the trucker.

Two types of policies are available: Those that list the specific trucks to be covered in which the property may be damaged or destroyed.

  • Those that cover all of the insured's trucks, with no trucks listed specifically.
  • This coverage is on Gross Receipts or Mileage Reporting Form, which in essence covers all operations of a motor carrier.

All Types of Cargo can be Covered.

At Truck Insurance Specialists we can identify the specific needs of your company and make sure the coverage form and policy type meet the broad range of exposures you may face. We are familiar with Carmack and the responsibilities of the motor carrier as well as the responsibilities of the shippers and consignees. Give us a call and we can tailor a program to your company's needs.

Occupational Accident

Occupational Accident Insurance covers eligible on-the-job accidents that owner-operators or contract drivers sustain while under dispatch or working on/around their truck. The coverage can be customized under this program to cover the unique risks motor carriers and drivers confront every day. The policy will offer primary benefit levels that vary based on the needs of the individual and can include:

  • Accidental Death Benefit
  • Survivor’s Benefit
  • Accidental Dismemberment
  • Accident Medical Expense Benefit
  • Temporary Total Disability
  • Continuous Total Disability
  • Non-Occupational Accident Benefit
  • Hernia & Hemorrhoid Benefit
  • Chiropractic Benefit

Some of the optional benefits include:

  • Passenger Accident Benefit
  • Contingent Liability Insurance

*Truckers Occupational Accident Insurance is not Workers’ Compensation coverage and is not a substitute for Workers’ Compensation coverage.

At Truck Insurance Specialists we can help the motor carrier, as well as the individual owner operator, tailor an Occupational Accident program to meet the specific needs of your situation and advise you as to whether an Occ Acc product is right for your operation.

Trailer Interchange

Trailer Interchange coverage provides Physical Damage Insurance for trailers you do not own while they are in your care, control, or custody. If you have a trailer interchange agreement you need Trailer Interchange Insurance to protect you while you have the trailer or container in your possession since those trailers are not covered under your regular Physical Damage Insurance. The policy protects you if the trailer is damaged by collision, fire, theft, explosion, or vandalism. Trailer Interchange coverage is required by most Intermodal Shipping companies to protect their trailer/container while on the road.

At Truck Insurance Specialists we can help you determine whether or not this coverage is necessary for your operation and can get you into compliance with organizations such as the UIIA in order to get you up and running in no time.